I always worked in the corporate world; A. because I was good at what I did and B. because I was scared to death of ever opening a business because I have heard enough horror stories to send me running scared. So when I decided to take on this very SMALL venture, I thought it was going to be a painless introduction. And for the most part it has been (I mean I haven't even gone live yet so there's that...), but I must say, my history of always trying to find the best way to do something and anticipating what could go wrong (cough cough...event planner) is what has really slowed my process. First, do I need to charge sales tax? Yes, no matter who or what you are (i.e. huge corporate or mom selling knick knacks from her couch) if you are selling in the state of Maryland (or anywhere I'd venture) you better be collecting sales tax from residents of that same state. So I ask friends who also sell online and some do collect, some don't collect, some collect from all states, some look at me like I'm nuts. Why is this such a hard question?? I am sure I've made more of it than it should be, so i call the comptroller to just get the final say. That was a hot mess (yes, I said it). I spoke with several people over that lost hour of my life. First the comptroller's office noted I was to fill out a sole proprietorship application, then I needed just an EIN, then I may be able to just use my SSN, then I needed to call the IRS to have them tell me what to do (uh hello...Maryland, you should know what I'm supposed to do to sell in your state, thanks). Then I got on the phone with IRS; well not so much on the phone as I was on hold, but that isn't what put me off about them. After waiting for about 20 minutes with one operator when I finally talked to someone in the EIN department she treated me like a criminal. She was drilling me with questions and, as a first time business owner, I really didn't know exactly how to answer them. She kept saying 'Ma'am I cannot help you in any way, I cannot give you advice I just read the question and you say yes or no.' I guess I have to respect that but I'm sure those words didn't have to be laced with a rude snotty tone - It didn't make me any nicer all the same. Finally, before we came to verbal blows, the woman said that if Maryland doesn't require an EIN then they don't either. Maryland Comptroller, the very entity that sent me to IRS was now in charge of my next step. Goody. Thankfully the next person who answered the line at the Comptroller's office was nice, clear and got me on my way in a few minutes. Oh how I would have enjoyed this process if I had only spoken with her first. Thank you whoever you are; my business has survived another day thanks to you knowing how to do your job and speaking with a smile.
On to other anxieties, what happens if a button somehow pops off and a child chokes on it? What happens if someone tries to hang the piece on the wall and does it badly, it falls and someone gets hurt? Sue-happy people give me nightmares.
What's the best way to ship items? What happens if their damaged in shipping - is there such a thing as too much bubble wrap?
Why is PayPal separate from all the credit cards? I have asked two people what they think about PayPal and both have closed their business accounts due to bad experiences. Great. I've heard many people only use PayPal so there is a rock and a hard place I've yet to wedge my way out of.
And then I look at the beautiful pieces I've made waiting for a loving home and I know these things are little hurdles I have to jump; but they are just hurdles, once you've jumped them they are behind you. I press on.
No comments:
Post a Comment